**Be sure to enter the drawing for Beyond Bath Time by Erin Davis. Winner will be picked tomorrow at 9am! Enter here.**
When Donnie told me that he was going to build me a headboard from the door that he bought at the Glen Rose antique shop, I never expected it to turn out this awesome. I knew it would be good--I mean the idea alone is great. But I never expected this work of art.
In its original state, the door was in pretty bad shape. Besides the chipping paint (which I kind of liked) it was filthy, had been written on in ink and spray paint, and had three bullet holes in it!
Since most doors are not horizontally symmetrical, and we wanted the bed to be symmetrical, Donnie cut a strip from the bottom of the door, and glued it to the top. You can see that in the picture below. The glued on strip is on the right side. We didn't think it would show after being sanded and painted, but we put that end on the side that would be farthest from our bedroom door, just in case.
Using some measurements from these Ana White plans, we used 4x4s on each end as the posts. We screwed the door to the posts using pocket holes. I wish I'd taken a picture of that part, because they are so cool! And we used the jig that Donnie gave me for my birthday! To get the door in the very center of the post, we rested it on some scrap wood while we were screwing them together.
Then we placed a 2x4 on top of the door and posts, lining it up exactly with the 4x4s.
After that we attached the top rail, which is a 2x6. We centered it on the 2x4, and extended it about 1 inch on each side.
My favorite part of the new headboard is what he did to the panels. I never would have thought of it.
We celebrated our "tin" anniversary in April, so this was the whole starting point of his inspiration to build the bed. His original intent was to find enough old, vintage ceiling tiles to work inside the panels, but we either didn't like the ones available, or the ones we liked were too small to work.
That's when we found Tin Ceiling Xpress online. We bought three 2x2 foot panels for $7 each!! Even with shipping, it was just over $30. When you only need a couple pieces, this is the only place to go apparently. The pattern we got was fleur.
Donnie painted the three pieces of tin with the same bright white that I used on the coat rack in the entryway. Then he palm-sanded them, but was careful to not go overboard and to keep the wear very uneven. We wanted it to look as close a possible to the old "found" tin pieces. I think he nailed it.
With tin snips, he cut the tin to the exact measurements of the panels (they were all slightly different) and attached them using a strong construction adhesive.
My favorite part of this gift is that we got to work on it together. I like that even more than the headboard itself. Donnie's a perfectionist, but somehow he maintains a cool patience when he's working with me, who knows nearly nothing about constructing things from wood.
I am in love with my new headboard. And my old husband.
Now to think about some fun new bedding to go with it!
We'd be so flattered if you used our idea to make your own piece of furniture! Please let us know that you did, and we'll feature a photo and link here on our blog! And if it's a future project you're thinking of, slap this post on pinterest so you don't lose it!